Visit our Curriculum Adoption page for information on current adoption processes.
The Laveen Elementary School District provides its students with a well-rounded education that includes English language arts, math, science, social studies, visual art, music, and physical education. In addition, our schools offer specialized electives aligned to their signature programs; (e.g. STEM, Performing Arts, Spanish). Our Academic Services Department is happy to assist students, staff, parents, and the community with any questions or support needed.
Resources to Support Your Child’s Learning
Student success requires a partnership between parents and teachers. The Laveen Elementary School District is pleased to make a number of online learning resources accessible to parents and students.
Parents and students can access math, English Language Arts, science, and social studies instructional materials online from most Internet-connected devices– smartphones, tablets, and computers. For instructions, read the Online Access to Curriculum and then click on the appropriate grade range for each subject.
|Grades K-5 Math
|Grades 6-8 Math
|Grades K-5 English Language Arts
|Grades 6-8 English Language Arts
|Grades K-5 Science
|Grades 6-8 Science
|Grades 1-5 Social Studies
|Grades 6-8 Social Studies
Library Book Search
Access our school libraries’ online catalogs.
Additional Links to Learning Resources
- TumbleBook Library
- Storyline Online
- PBS Kids
- NASA Kids’ Club
- Dictionary and Thesaurus
- Keyboarding Skills
Our curriculum, which is fully aligned to academic standards adopted by the Arizona State Board of Education, provides a clear roadmap of what your child is expected to learn in each grade. The challenging standards at each grade level serve as a stair step, moving your child closer to readiness for high school, college, and careers.
Arizona’s Mathematics Standards require students to demonstrate a deep understanding of math while developing strong critical thinking skills. Our district has adopted programs written specifically for these standards:
- Grades K-5 McGraw Hill– MyMath – Built around the Standards for Mathematical Practices, McGraw-Hill My Math engages students with the focus, coherence and rigor required by state standards. The program has an intuitive lesson format and digital tools to develop customized content for students. Digital accessibility with any device supports students anytime and anywhere. Meaningful student engagement opportunities allow students to interact with math in various ways by utilizing: Real-World problem solving, digital resources, and hands-on activities
- Grades 6-8 McGraw Hill– Glencoe Math – Rigor is built-in and supported throughout the program. The three components of rigor — conceptual understanding, application, and procedural fluency are embedded in resources, lessons, and practice assessments. Digital accessibility with any device supports students anytime and anywhere. Glencoe Math makes math real for students and meets students wherever they are in their learning. Assessments help us determine proficiency before, during, and after lessons. Differentiated instruction resources ensure approaching-level students master concepts before moving on, while beyond-level students are continually challenged.
In addition to traditional, printed books and workbooks, a digital platform gives students and parents the ability to access online tutorials, learning activities, and other online tools. Advanced coursework including high school level algebra and geometry is offered at all schools.
English Language Arts
Arizona’s English Language Arts standards call for an integrated approach to teaching reading, writing, language, speaking and listening. Laveen strives to promote literacy across all of the content areas, exposing students to a rich balance of fiction and nonfiction texts. Students read selections from a wide range of text types and integrate research, writing, and media skills through the use of student technology devices. Laveen adopted a new ELA curriculum in 2020 that are highlighted below:
- Grades K-5 Savvas – ReadyGEN– This is an integrated and well-balanced approach to reading and writing instruction for our Grade K-5 classrooms. Authentic texts with modeling and teacher-directed activities drive learning and motivate readers. Students read authentic literary and informational texts. Instruction focuses on reading, writing, speaking, and listening in response to authentic texts.
- Grades 6-8 McGraw Hill– StudySync – Engages our middle school learners with a rigorous, student-centered curriculum that connects learning to students’ lives beyond the classroom. Our classroom instruction is focused on strong skills- and standards-based alignment that provides the foundation for success in high school and beyond. Every day, students interact with high-quality classic and contemporary literature that’s rigorous, culturally-relevant, and presented in a highly engaging digital format. Six units per grade for 180 days of integrated reading, writing, listening, and speaking instruction. This program supports interchangeable print and digital use and enhances instruction with rich multimedia and digital tools.
Both programs feature traditional and digital learning platforms.
The Arizona Science Standards are interwoven into a fabric of science that represents the true nature of science. Students have the opportunity to develop both the skills and content knowledge necessary to be scientifically literate members of the community. To support this progression, a digital, core program is provided to all K-8 students.
- K-8 Discovery Education– Science – Science Techbook connects elementary students to their inner curiosity, placing them at the center of each 3D learning experience as they lead investigations that uncover the mysteries of science. Engaging content, hands-on and virtual STEM activities bring the excitement of science to life. With Science Techbook, students engage in an action-packed journey to make sense of phenomena in a way that aligns with their natural curiosities. Each unit storyline follows a 3D learning framework, launching with real-world anchor phenomena to hook students and inspire them to ask important questions as they investigate and collaborate to explain, make predictions, and solve problems. Students engage in active investigations of phenomena through questioning, modeling, data collection, and analysis allows students to generate evidence of sense-making. Finally, the hands-on investigations, labs, and STEM projects allow students to demonstrate science and engineering practices and produce creative solutions to real-world problems.
The Arizona History and Social Science Standards build across grade levels in a progression of knowing and applying concepts aligned to history, government, geography, and economics. To support this progression platform, a digital, core program is provided to students in 6th-8th grade.
- Grades 6-8 (Social Studies) TCI Middle School Social Studies Program: Social Studies (History/Social Science –TCI Middle School Social Studies is designed with one primary goal: to help students master the essential skills and knowledge. To this end, every unit includes primary sources and activities to make the lessons more inquiry-based and to help students develop critical-thinking skills. TCI social studies curriculum provides various print and online support tools to meet the needs and the unique learning needs of students.
- Grades 1-5 (Social Studies) McGraw Hill – Impact Social Studies – Students gain building blocks for critical thinking, develop a strong reading and writing foundation, and learn what it means to be responsible, active citizens. With engaging content, geared to today’s elementary school students, IMPACT takes a fresh approach to social studies curriculum in the elementary classroom. Discovering Our Past: United States Studies, Arizona Edition – Discovering our Past is a program aligned to the Arizona Fifth Grade Standards. Both a student and teacher text were created to match this new sequence of chapters. A customized digital program was created as well, matching the text, that gives students an equivalent online experience.
A goal of the Laveen Elementary School District is to accelerate the use of technology to support student achievement by providing a 1:1 student to device ratio and by providing resources and training to integrate technology into curriculum and instruction. Each of our campuses has classroom sets of student devices in every grade level, consisting of iPads or Chromebooks. All students have a computer user account, which can be accessed from both school and at home to share documents and projects with other classmates and the teacher.
Laveen’s ability to provide new curriculum is funded through override elections approved by Laveen voters.
Academic Services Contacts
(602) 237-9100 ext. 3048
Dr. Tracy Watkins
Director, Curriculum & Instruction
(602) 237-9100 ext. 3054
Federal Programs Coordinator
(602) 237-9100 ext. 3051
Data Analyst Coordinator
(602) 237-9100 ext. 3053