Ten classified staff members received the Exceptional Service Award at the April Governing Board meeting. The Exceptional Services Award is the highest recognition the Laveen School District has for its Classified Employees. Each of these employees was nominated by their supervisor based on their quality and quantity of work, expertise, initiative, teamwork, customer service, and attendance.
The recipients for 2019 were:
- Brandy Seechoma, Desert Meadows Secretary
- Chris Seay, Cheatham Computer Technician
- Christina Vasquez, M.C. Cash Health Associate
- Esperanza Canales, Vista del Sur Behavior Monitor
- Leticia Preciado, Paseo Pointe Attendance Clerk
- Miriam Montufar, Trailside Point Cafeteria Manager
- Nyeshua Miller, Rogers Ranch Behavior Monitor
- Ramon De La O, Business Department SAIS Specialist
- Silvia Cortez, Laveen School Attendance Clerk
- Stephanie Niehus, Human Resources Department Technician
Paseo Pointe School welcomed Governor Doug Ducey on April 9. The Governor visited several classrooms including Paseo’s Dual Language Immersion classes, where he witnessed similar lessons being taught in English and Spanish, and the school’s media club where he was interviewed as part of the student-run newscast. The Governor also read an Arizona-themed story, “Three Little Javelinas” to first grade students.
The tour concluded with a round table discussion centered on the Arizona Teachers Academy – the Governor’s initiative to encourage college students to pursue a teaching degree without student debt being a deterring factor. Students who enter this program agree to commit one year to teaching for each year they receive the scholarship. Participants included Northern Arizona University President Dr. Rita Cheng and College of Education Dean Ramona Mellott, Arizona Board of Regents Fred DuVal and Larry Penley, several Laveen student teachers/ interns who are part of the academy, Principal Kristi Pashley, and Superintendent Johnson.
Students who enter this program agree to commit one year to teaching for each year they receive the scholarship that covers their tuition.